Subject: bug#2211 closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#2211: server-socket-dir and make-temp-file)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 22:05:06 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#2211: server-socket-dir and make-temp-file

It has been closed by Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
2211: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2211
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#2211: server-socket-dir and make-temp-file
From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
To: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 16:58:46 -0500

> I could update those. Yet I just realized that emacs 23 is already in
> pretest. Is this the kind of thing that should be changed nonethless
> or should I better wait?

I think it's better to fix these now.  I've just done that.  Thanks for
finding the problem.

Subject: server-socket-dir and make-temp-file
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:28:19 +0100

server-socket-dir is by default a directory in /tmp. With CVS emacs
it also takes the TMPDIR environment variable into account.
Shouldn't this variable be initialized using make-temp-file so that
it obeys any customization of temporary-file-directory?

Actually, I ran the following command in the emacs directory
$ grep "\"/tmp\"" lisp/*el lisp/*/*el
Browsing through the matches, it seems to me that
pmail-mime-attachment-dirs-alist and url-temporary-directory
should be updated, too.

A related issue: I do not quite understand a piece of code like

  (make-temp-file
   (concat (file-name-as-directory
            (or (getenv "TMPDIR") "/tmp"))
            "artist-stdin."))

used in the function artist-system. If the PREFIX arg of
make-temp-file is an absolute directory as in the example above,
make-temp-file will ignore any user customization of
temporary-file-directory. The function ps-run-make-tmp-filename
behaves similarly.

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2008-03-27 on tfkp07