Subject: bug#22107: this-command-keys no longer returns prefix argument

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2016 15:00:27 +0000

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:11 AM Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If this is a documentation bug, then it's not a documentation bug,
> because it means one of the two variables should be obsoleted.
>

I do not have enough experience with those functions enough to make a call
either way. I am simple trying to reach a closure for this issue. I just
recently stumbled upon this this-command-keys change between 24.5 and 25.x
versions. And I would like to have it fixed the correct way that the
consensus decides and at least have the documentation reflect the current
state of things.

> And I don't think the view that the current behavior is correct is
> shared by everyone.
>
> So I don't see how you can be so sure about this.
>

Looks like there's an unspoken consensus about how this-command-keys
behaves right now, and so this bug thread had been dead since Dec, until I
discovered this issue recently.

If this-single-command-keys has to be obsoleted, or if this-command-keys
has to be reverted, IMO this bug is a strong candidate to be able to delay
the 25.1 release (unlike what Dmitry thought of as a non important enough
blocking bug). So I had to speak up for this one in that emacs-devel thread.

I will willing to help in whatever way to help reach a good closure for
this bug.
-- 

-- 
Kaushal Modi