Subject: bug#2209: Don't let y-or-n-p move point.

From: Richard M Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:05:57 -0500

> How does it happen that y-or-n-p moves point?  Whatever it is, it
    > could cause trouble elsewhere too.  Maybe the right fix is to make
    > sure it does not happen.

    The details are in the first message of bug 2209.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding.  I think you mean the message
below, but it does not say why y-or-n-p moves point.  I think it
will take investigation to figure that out.

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:39:59 -0000
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Resent-Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 12:03:36 -0500
Cc: 
Subject: bug#2209: 23.0.90; copyright-update might not update copyright
Reply-To: "Marshall, Simon" <[email-masked]>,
	[email-masked]

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C987B0.62F9A32A
Content-Type: text/plain;
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

First, emacs -Q and in the initial frame create 2 windows with 2 new
files containing:

//Copyright (c) 2008 Foo
//

Now do C-x 5 2 and in the new frame do Tools | Compile RET (it doesn't
matter if there's no Makefile etc) and in the *compilation* window in
the new frame do C-x 1 M-: (add-hook 'write-file-hooks
'copyright-update) RET.

Now in the original frame, add the word "Bar" to the end of the 2nd line
in each file, leaving point at the end of the 2nd line, and leaving the
files modified.

Now in the *compilation* window in the new frame do g ! SPC SPC to
recompile/save/update the copyright notices.=20=20

I find that one file contains the correct:

//Copyright (c) 2008, 2009 Foo
//Bar

But the other contains the erroneous:

//Copyright (c) 2008 Foo
//Bar, 2009

With point on the comma in the 2nd line.