Subject: bug#22086: 25.1.50; [PATCH] Integrate the musl hybrid malloc patch for elf systems

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 18:28:19 +0100

On Mon, Dec 21 2015, Paul Eggert wrote:

> Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
>>> The simpler approach is to remove gmalloc.c, and to use the system
>>> >memory allocator, i.e., to behave as if SYSTEM_MALLOC is defined on
>>> >all platforms.
>> The system malloc can't manage the "static heap" array implemented in
>> sheap.c (because usually there's no malloc_hook), so, presumably this
>> would be ditched as well.  So... I wonder what you are proposing here.
>
> If we don't need the static heap, then let's ditch it.

Is it needed for what you have in mind?

> If we do need
> it, then let's have our own allocator (named emalloc, say), which uses
> the static heap and/or the system malloc as needed.

Well, that's exactly what hybrid malloc does.

> Regardless, we
> shouldn't be trying to redefine 'malloc', nor should we be supplying
> our own allocator merely because that was a good idea back in 1989.

Isn't this a minor problem since it concerns only those systems which
will still need the malloc from src/gmalloc.c after dumping (non-ELF
unix-like systems)?