Subject: Re: bug#22086: 25.1.50; [PATCH] Integrate the musl hybrid mallo

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 15:08:19 -0800

On 02/01/2016 11:38 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 19:34:20 +0100
>>
>>
>> Also, I get an only slightly larger number when dumping bootstrap-emacs
>> with the pre-compiled elisp files.  Perhaps, you got the first number
>> with the *.elc files still being around from a previous test?

Yes, that's probably it. Though I'm still surprised by the discrepancy. 
The biggest .el file is not that big. Is Emacs reading all the .el files 
into memory, into a single Emacs instance that buffers all the .el files 
at once?

> You guys are aware that the amount of memory used when dumping depends
> on such factors as the length of the absolute file name of the
> directory where you build Emacs, right?

Oh yes. Even doing the exact same dump twice can yield different 
results, presumably due to ASLR.