Subject: Re: bug#22086: 25.1.50; [PATCH] Integrate the musl hybrid mallo

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2016 08:58:58 -0800

On 02/01/2016 07:15 AM, Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
> I had just to double the static heap size.

OK, I installed a patch doing that into Emacs master.

> In the ensuing successful build, I got the following message after
> dumping:
>
> 18788992 of 33554432 static heap bytes used
>
> However, this is with my standard configuration, which doesn't include
> everything:
>
> ssystem-configuration-features is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
> Its value is
> "XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB X11 MODULES"

I wonder why you're using way more static heap bytes than I am? I get 
this on Fedora 23 x86-64 when configured via './configure 
--enable-gcc-warnings --with-modules emacs_cv_var_doug_lea_malloc=no':

11892256 of 33554432 static heap bytes used
92482 pure bytes used

10765856 of 33554432 static heap bytes used
2781901 pure bytes used

The first is when building bootstrap-emacs, the second is when building 
emacs. On my build, system-configuration-features is "XPM JPEG TIFF GIF 
PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL 
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB 
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES", which is a superset of your features.

Is the FreeBSD runtime calling malloc a lot on its own behalf? It might 
be interesting to find out why.