Subject: bug#22086: 25.1.50; [PATCH] Integrate the musl hybrid malloc patch for elf systems

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 00:31:00 -0800

Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:

>> If we don't need the static heap, then let's ditch it.
>
> Is it needed for what you have in mind?

I hope not. Perhaps it is needed for Cygwin, for reasons I don't understand. If 
it is needed then obviously we should keep it, and use the hybrid allocator. If 
not, not.

>> Regardless, we
>> shouldn't be trying to redefine 'malloc', nor should we be supplying
>> our own allocator merely because that was a good idea back in 1989.
>
> Isn't this a minor problem since it concerns only those systems which
> will still need the malloc from src/gmalloc.c after dumping (non-ELF
> unix-like systems)?

Yes, it's a minor problem, in that none of these systems actually need gmalloc.c 
any more.  If I understand things correctly, the main "problem" here (and it is 
a good problem to have) is that we need to carefully excise gmalloc.c out of 
Emacs, without breaking things.