Subject: Re: bug#22083: 25.0.50; hg: adding tag enhances the rev, modeline does not reflect

From: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 14:36:11 +0000

On Sat 05 Dec 2015, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 12/05/2015 02:24 PM, Andy Moreton wrote:
>
>> That is normal - mercurial stores tags in a plain text file .hgtags at
>> the root of the repo, which is versioned the same way as any other file.
>>
>> This means that adding a tag is effectively the same as editing
>> .hgtags and committing the change.
>
> Does that mean that the set of available tags is dependent on the current
> branch? And you can't simply check out a tag, you also have to know which
> branch it is on?

You don't need to know which branch a tag is on, you can simply checkout
a tag as expected. You do needs to ensure that the .hgtags file is
handled properly when merging branches.

The Mercurial book is a little old, but has some useful detail:
http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/managing-releases-and-branchy-development.html

    AndyM