Subject: bug#22083: 25.0.50; hg: adding tag enhances the rev, modeline does not reflect

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 19:54:25 +0200

On 12/04/2015 06:13 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't know.  But with RCS, the branch and the revision are the same
> thing, i.e. the revision number also encodes the branch.  So it isn't
> important really.  (Same with CVS.)

Ok. It will be important if we try to redefine 
vc-default-mode-line-string to return backend:branch:revision.

> I think all the 3 of the modern dVCSes have branches as very important
> feature and the users are aware of them.

Then we should try showing them. At first, maybe instead of the revision 
numbers.

>> 'git describe' output can be fairly long (e.g. 1.11.0-55-gegegege)
>
> We could lose the gegegege part.

gegegege can be immediately useful (one can pass it to 'git show', etc). 
It's the preceding part that doesn't look particularly useful to me.

> There's nothing else in Git that's comparable to a revision number, I
> think.

That's only if you expect the revision identifier to be a number. I 
don't see a lot of reasons to do that.