Subject: bug#22081: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 18:57:08 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:

> (The netrc.el `netrc-parse' code is not actively used nowadays in Emacs,
> as far as I know, but hasn't been removed due to my laziness. I see a
> single reference to it in gnus/nntp.el. It has some deficiencies that
> were improved in `auth-source-netrc-parse', for instance supporting
> single-quoted strings. Any objections to removing it? CC to Lars since
> he wrote it originally.)

Let's see...

Geez, that's some convoluted code.  I think what it's meant to do is to
allow the user to define `nntp-authinfo-file' and allow that to override
the other Emacs authinfo choices.

I think it would be nice to not break people's setups, but I think it
would be clearer just to do something like

(let ((auth-sources (cons nntp-authinfo-file auth-sources)))
  ...)

before calling auth-source, and delete the explicit calls to netrc
completely.  And then you could move netrc.el to obsolete/.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no