Subject: bug#22081: closed (Re: bug#22081: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 14:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#22081: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
22081: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=22081
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#22081: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines
From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
To: Andy Moreton <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:06:33 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 09:35:22 +0000 Andy Moreton <[email-masked]> wrote: 

AM> On Mon 07 Dec 2015, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

>> Without a quoting standard, it's not clear whether strings inside quotes
>> can be multiline and whether the newline itself can be escaped.

AM> The original spec is archaic - there is no quoting standard, only tokens
AM> separated by whitespace. As such, a quote is simply another character.

Right, and therefore we can't support the original spec as long as we
also support the more important single-quoting and double-quoting of strings.

I'm closing this without prejudice because I think we've stated our
positions clearly and it's not a bug, but if you or anyone else want to
propose a patch that can support multiline or the other keywords without
breaking the current functionality, we can reopen.

I would also welcome patches to remove the netrc.el usage.

Thanks
Ted

Subject: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines
From: Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 11:20:29 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

A .netrc or .authinfo file typically contains the credentials for a
specific machine on a single line, but according to netrc(5)
<http://linux.die.net/man/5/netrc> it's allowed to use newlines between
the tokens as well.  Using (netrc-parse) leaves such items out which is
clearly an error in the implementation.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.6)
 of 2015-09-10 on foutrelis
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11704000
System Description: Arch Linux

Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 70945 6811)
 (symbols 48 17553 0)
 (miscs 40 35 138)
 (strings 32 9020 4341)
 (string-bytes 1 247698)
 (vectors 16 8908)
 (vector-slots 8 383094 17840)
 (floats 8 63 74)
 (intervals 56 177 0)
 (buffers 960 11)
 (heap 1024 49544 969))