Subject: Re: bug#22081: 24.5; netrc.el fails parsing authinfo items spread over multiple lines

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2015 13:15:59 -0500

On Mon, 07 Dec 2015 14:14:13 +0000 Andy Moreton <[email-masked]> wrote: 

AM> On Sat 05 Dec 2015, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Dec 2015 14:25:00 +0000 Andy Moreton <[email-masked]> wrote: 
>> My more important point was that there's no standard (or library) for
>> parsing netrc files. In particular, quoting is not specified as I
>> mentioned. The BSD spec is ambiguous and allowing multi-line entries
>> would not serve any practical purpose.

AM> The spec clearly defines that tokens are separated with SPACE TAB or
AM> NEWLINE, which seems unambiguous to me.

Without a quoting standard, it's not clear whether strings inside quotes
can be multiline and whether the newline itself can be escaped.

AM> Disallowing NEWLINE as a token separator means you are not parsing an
AM> extension of the existing format, but something incompatible with it.
AM> That's fine as it offers useful features, but it should use a different
AM> file name to make it clear that it is not the same format.

Fortunately `auth-sources' defaults to ~/.authinfo and ~/.authinfo.gpg
before ~/.netrc right now.

Ted