Subject: bug#22078: failed builds due to exceeding max-silent-time not marked as failed in db

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 23:03:07 +0100

Hi,

on my system bulding the derivation for the package tbb (version
4.3.2) does not complete due to exceeding the max-silent-time default
value of 3600 seconds (one hour).

It seems that in this case the path is not marked as failed in the
sqlite3 db

/var/guix/db/db.sqlite

in the table FailedPaths. This is quite annoying since it seems that
several packages depend on it causing the derivation to be built
several times (each taking over an hour to fail).

The guix daemon is running with the --cache-failures option and I
would expect the second run of

for n in `guix package -A | cut -f1`; do guix build --no-substitutes
"$n" || true; done

to be mostly a NOOP, since all failures from the first run should be
cached. And even in the first run I wouldn't expect failed
dependencies to be tried to build again. Contrary to this on this box
even the second run of this takes about half a day or so to complete ;)

Flo

P.S.: FYI: The thing that takes over an hour to run is

./test_atomic.exe

- -- 
https://fps.io