Subject: bug#22078: failed builds due to exceeding max-silent-time not marked as failed in db

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 00:11:23 +0100

Florian Paul Schmidt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Attached is a first stab at fixing this. There are additional options
> to guix-daemons now:
>
>       --cache-failures       cache build failures
>       --cache-hook-failures  cache build failures due to hook failures
> (depends
>                              on cache-failures)
>       --cache-timeout-failures   cache build failures due to timeouts
> (depends
>                              on cache-failures)

OK.  I’m unsure whether it makes sense to cache failures due to timeout
because, by definition, they’re non-deterministic.

Another problem is that clients can choose what the timeout is (both
max-silent-time and absolute max-time), so it’d be easy for a client to
force a timeout failure; on a multi-user system, that would amount to a
DoS attack.

I’m not sure how to address these issues, so I’m rather in favor of the
status quo.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.