Subject: 25.0.50; Delayed reaction to switching frames?

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 18:00:27 +0100

>From a shell in a GUI with sloppy focus (assuming that they are all
similar, I am using GNOME here) do

emacs -Q
M-x set-variable RET focus-follows-mouse RET t RET
C-x C-f /tmp/testfile RET
C-x 5 2    and arrange frames side-by-side
M-! touch /tmp/testfile RET

Now move with the mouse from one frame to the other and immediately
press a key.  I get a message like

on the _old_ frame (the one I moved out of).  Apparently the frame
switch command gets delivered with some delay and the "changed on disk"
message, arriving late, does no longer manage to switch frames.

I cannot absolutely vouch that the window manager setting "sloppy"
(which can be selected with gnome-tweak-tool) is innocent of the
problem.  But there are no delay settings to select.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7)
 of 2015-10-28
Repository revision: 869506376f4eb8d402c990318063ae73463a4010
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 15.10

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB GTK3
X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=none
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-agent-group-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  minibuffer-electric-default-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Reading active file from /home/dak3/Mail/club via nndir...
Opening nndir server on /home/dak3/Mail/club...done
Reading active file from /home/dak3/Mail/club via nndir...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Reading active file from /home/dak3/Mail/family via nndir...
Opening nndir server on /home/dak3/Mail/family...done
Reading active file from /home/dak3/Mail/family via nndir...done
Checking new news...done
Auto-saving...
/ is undefined

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug ispell calc-math calc-stuff calc-frac calc-poly
calc-arith calc-misc view calccomp calc-units calc-alg calc-ext
calc-aent calc-menu calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs gnus-draft pp rfc2368
nndoc tramp-cache git-rebase magit-blame magit-stash magit-bisect
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit magit-apply magit-wip
magit-log magit-diff magit-core magit-process magit-popup magit-mode
magit-git magit-section magit-utils git-commit log-edit with-editor
async-bytecomp async dash canlock quail mpuz thingatpt log-view
pcvs-util vc-annotate rect dabbrev gnus-dup misearch multi-isearch
shr-color color url-util url-parse url-vars shr dom subr-x browse-url
eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func cus-edit debug
cmuscheme gnus-fun flow-fill sendmail nnir mm-archive gnus-kill sort
smiley gnus-cite mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table
pop3 nndraft gnutls network-stream nsm starttls nndir nnmh nnml nnfolder
nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp
gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap
nnmail mail-source tls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range gnus-win add-log make-mode tar-mode nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok autorevert
filenotify conf-mode message rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gv password-cache tramp-loaddefs
trampver shell pcomplete format-spec json jka-compr dired-x dired
sh-script smie executable latexenc preview prv-emacs reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars tex-bar toolbar-x noutline outline
font-latex byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv latex edmacro kmacro
tex-style tex-buf tex-info texinfo tex dbus xml crm smerge-mode
lilypond-mode compile comint ansi-color ring cl-extra cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
vc vc-dispatcher scheme vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode advice desktop
frameset minibuf-eldef gnus gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils
mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr wid-edit cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
cus-start cus-load preview-latex tex-site auto-loads server finder-inf
info package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 1017932 168067)
 (symbols 24 71796 200)
 (miscs 20 2578 3397)
 (strings 16 162221 24070)
 (string-bytes 1 5106618)
 (vectors 8 65023)
 (vector-slots 4 2227032 34692)
 (floats 8 730 1388)
 (intervals 28 64428 4288)
 (buffers 520 516)
 (heap 1024 121896 9257))

-- 
David Kastrup