Subject: bug#22066: 24.5; documentation for "values" is not accurate

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 10:24:04 -0500

>> Yup.  I've now done this on the trunk, and I'm marking `values' as
>> obsolete (after doing some more testing).
> Actually, I can't really mark `values' as obsolete, because that makes
>
> (let (values)
>   ...
>   values)
>
> issue a warning...

The same problem affects `pi`.  For this reason it's declared obsolete
in NEWS and in its docstring but not with `make-obsolete` :-(

Maybe we should change the byte-compiler so it doesn't issue
obsolescence warnings when the variable is lexically scoped?

So we'd issue a warning for

    ... values ...

but not for

    (let ((values ...)) ... values ...)

?

        Stefan