Subject: Re: core dumped during compilation (emacs-25 branch on FreeBSD 9)

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:08:21 -0800

I doubt whether the “comparison is always true due to limited range of 
data type” messages are related to the core dump. Those messages are 
merely due to a boastful compiler announcing that it can optimize a 
comarison away. Although recent GCCs are less boastful, they’re still 
doing that optimization.

We’ve made some important changes to emacs-25 in this area since this 
bug was reported in November. Is the current version of emacs-25 still 
dumping core on FreeBSD 9? If not, we can close the bug. Otherwise, 
please run it under a debugger and give us a backtrace. Something like 
this, say:

$ make clean
$ make CFLAGS='-g3 -O0'
[Presumably this fails when temacs dumps core.]
$ cd src
$ gdb temacs
(gdb) source .gdbinit
(gdb) r --batch --load loadup bootstrap
[Presumably this segvs.]
(gdb) bt