Subject: Re: bug#22058: 25.1.50; emacs_backtrace.txt

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2015 18:22:01 +0200

> Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 08:11:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> > > I run Emacs using `runemacs' in the bin directory.
> > 
> > It is easier to run emacs.exe directly, like John suggested.  When GDB
> > shows its prompt, type "run" and press RET to start Emacs.
> 
> No idea what "directly" means here.

It means invoke emacs.exe rather than runemacs.exe (which invokes
emacs.exe under the hood).

> > You will find the latest GDB compiled for Windows here:
> >   http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/gdb-7.10-w32-
> > bin.zip/download
> 
> OK, thanks.  I tried using that and got the attached error.
> What's the easiest way to remedy this?

The text below from the README file should get you started.

> (Why doesn't the gdb binary include everything it needs?)

Because I don't want to distribute Python, including its sources.

======================================================================

gdb-7.10-w32

  A Windows build of the latest version 7.10 of GDB.  The MinGW site
  offers only an outdated version 7.6.1, which was on top of that
  built without Python support.  Here you have the latest release that
  supports Python.  It also includes the lately added Guile support.
  One caveat: you will have to download and install Python 2.6.6 from
  https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.6/; gdb.exe in this
  archive depends on the Python library and DLL, and will not run
  without it being available on your system.  (I don't want to
  distribute Python binaries, because then I would also need to
  provide the Python sources from this site, which is way too much.)

  Starting with GDB 7.10, the data files in this port are installed
  into a version-specific directory 'share/gdb/VERSION/'.  This is so
  you could keep previous versions of GDB renamed as, say,
  gdb-x.y.z.exe, and still be able to invoke them and let them find
  their data files.  If this is the first GDB port you are installing
  that uses this structure, I suggest to move the data files of the
  previous version -- everything under share/gdb/ -- into a version
  specific subdirectory share/gdb/X.Y.Z/, where X.Y.Z is the version
  of GDB you had before this one.

  Guile dependencies are included in this binary distribution.
  If you install this anywhere but D:\usr, you will need to set 2
  environment variables:

    set GUILE_LOAD_PATH=x:\foo\share\guile\2.0
    set GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH=x:\foo\lib\guile\2.0\ccache

  where "x:\foo" is the directory from which you unzipped the GDB
  binary zip file.  These variables are required for the Guile support
  in GDB to be able to initialize itself.

  If GDB complains at startup about being unable to load Python
  modules, you may need to set the PYTHONPATH environment variable to
  point to your Python 2.6.6 installation, like this:

    set PYTHONPATH=C:\Python26;C:\Python26\Lib;C:\Python26\;C:\Python26\DLLs;C:\Python26\Lib\lib-tk;C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages

  (assuming you installed Python in C:\Python26).

  This port also supports TUI, the Text-mode User Interface; invoke
  GDB with the -tui command-line option to activate it.