Subject: bug#22058: 25.1.50; emacs_backtrace.txt

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 08:11:33 -0800 (PST)

> > I run Emacs using `runemacs' in the bin directory.
> 
> It is easier to run emacs.exe directly, like John suggested.  When GDB
> shows its prompt, type "run" and press RET to start Emacs.

No idea what "directly" means here.  John suggested using
"gdb --args emacs <args to Emacs>".  I put this in a Windows
shortcut and tried it:

 <path-to>\gdb.exe --args emacs --debug-init <my-dir>

Where <path-to> is the path to the (old) binary I have, and
<my-dir> is a directory I want to dired as my first window.

(Normally I use "<path-to>\runemacs.exe --debug-init <my-dir>".)

> > I do have an old Windows gdb.exe that dates from 2010.  I don't
> > recall where I got it.  I tried that with the args you cited,
> > and that crashed immediately - see attached screenshot.
> 
> Wasn't that with Emacs 20.7?

No.  I've never used Emacs 20.7 with gdb.  It was a binary I
got in 2010 to try to debug something you asked about, and
using a dev snapshot at that time (would that have been an
Emacs 23 snapshot?).  I thought perhaps I got the binary from
you or from somewhere you pointed me to.

> I have no idea who compiled that and how, but it's quite
> possible that those old versions were build with
> the Microsoft compiler, not with GCC.
> 
> > I see tars of source code here: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gdb/.
> > I don't see any Windows binaries at http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/
> > (e.g. at http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/download/).
> 
> You will find the latest GDB compiled for Windows here:
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/gdb-7.10-w32-
> bin.zip/download

OK, thanks.  I tried using that and got the attached error.
What's the easiest way to remedy this?  (Why doesn't the gdb
binary include everything it needs?)  Thx.