Subject: bug#22057: Sort missing feature proposed

From: Bernhard Voelker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 21:03:34 +0100

On 11/30/2015 06:46 PM, Saint Michael wrote:
> why don't we just go ahead and do it?

not everything which can be done makes sense to do, and even
less if the functionality is already there.

Comparison: someone is always going to his favourite Italian
restaurant for its tasty pizza and pasta.  Someone else tells
the cook "hey, you got a nice kitchen - why don't you also make
steaks?".  And then the restaurant has steaks, and burgers, and
a lot more, too.
Yes, there is nothing wrong until now, but then the first person
comes back ... and has to wonder why the great pizza and the
fabulous pasta do taste like old shoes.

Thus said, we are of course not opposed to improve things in
coreutils, but we hate to potentially make things worse for
the other users - even in future.

The problem is, the restaurant from the example above can easily
decide to go back and print a new menue just the other day with
all the superb dishes - while we have to care about compatibility.

Have a nice day,
Berny