Subject: My fix does not quite work

From: "Keith Ponting" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 08:12:29 -0500

A small postscript - the save-excursion  fix I suggested does not quite
work as it leaves point _before_ the inserted terminator not after it.

The following rearrangement works around that:

(defun perl-electric-terminator (arg)

  "Insert character and adjust indentation.

If at end-of-line, and not in a comment or a quote, correct the's
indentation."

  (interactive "P")

  (let ((insertpos (point)))

    (and (not arg)                                                ;
decide whether to indent

                 (eolp)

                 (save-excursion

                   (beginning-of-line)

                   (and (not                                          ;
eliminate comments quickly

                                 (and comment-start-skip

                                      (re-search-forward
comment-start-skip insertpos t)) )

                                (or (/= last-command-char ?:)

                                    ;; Colon is special only after a
label ....

                                    (looking-at
"\\s-*\\(\\w\\|\\s_\\)+$"))

                                (let ((pps (parse-partial-sexp

(perl-beginning-of-function) insertpos)))

                                  (not (or (nth 3 pps) (nth 4 pps) (nth
5 pps))))))

                 (progn                                 ; must insert,
indent, delete

                   (insert-char last-command-char 1)

                   (save-excursion (perl-indent-line))

                   (delete-char -1))))

  (self-insert-command (prefix-numeric-value arg)))

Keith Ponting

Aurix Ltd, Malvern WR14 3SZ  UK