Subject: bug#2204: 23.0.90; minibuffer font and frame size

From: "Marshall, Simon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:35:38 -0000

Hi guys,

I've always used a separate minibuffer frame with a larger font.  With
Emacs 22, it correctly uses the larger font in the minibuffer, but sizes
the minibuffer frame according to the default smaller font.  As such,
descender letters are difficult to read in the minibuffer.  However, I
can use set-frame-font in the minibuffer with the larger font to force
Emacs 22 to resize the minibuffer frame (even though the font has not
actually changed).  Since I start Emacs rarely, I've grown to live with
it.  

With Emacs 23, cleverly, it does not resize the minibuffer frame if the
font has not changed.  This cleverness is unfortunate, since the size is
wrong.

Replace .emacs with:

(setq inhibit-startup-screen t)

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((width . 80) (height . 40)
	(minibuffer . nil)))

(setq initial-frame-alist
      '((width . 80) (height . 40)
	(minibuffer . nil)))

(setq minibuffer-frame-alist
      '((width . 100) (height . 1)
	(cursor-type . bar)
	(reverse . t)
	(font . "9x15bold")))

My Xresources include:

Emacs*font:     8x13bold

Start Emacs 22 without any flags.  In Emacs 22, the minibuffer comes up
with a 9x15bold font but sized for a 8x13bold font.  Oh well.  But I can
move my mouse into the minibuffer and do M-x set-frame-font RET 9x15bold
RET and the frame is redrawn with the correct size.  Yay!

Start Emacs 23 without any flags.  As before, the minibuffer comes up
with a 9x15bold font but sized for a 8x13bold font.  However, this time,
M-x set-frame-font RET 9x15bold RET has no effect.

I guess in Emacs 23 I can change the font away from 9x15bold and then
back again, but perhaps it would be possible to fix the underlying
problem or find some other solution?

In GNU Emacs 23.0.90.1 (sparc-sun-solaris2.8, Motif Version 2.1.0)
 of 2009-02-03 on risksun2
Windowing system distributor `Hummingbird Ltd.', version 11.0.100015
configured using `configure
'--x-includes=/usr/openwin/include:/usr/dt/include:/usr/local/include:/u
sr/local/X11/include'
'--x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/dt/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/X1
1/lib' '--with-x-toolkit=motif' '--with-jpeg=no' '--with-gif=no'
'--with-tiff=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

"Misys" is the trade name for Misys plc (registered in England and Wales). Registration Number: 01360027. Registered office: One Kingdom Street, London W2 6BL, United Kingdom. For a list of Misys group operating companies please go to http://www.misys.com/corp/About_Us/misys_operating_companies.html. This email and any attachments have been scanned for known viruses using multiple scanners. This email message is intended for the named recipient only. It may be privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the named recipient of this email please notify us immediately and do not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. This email does not constitute the commencement of legal relations between you and Misys plc. Please refer to the executed contract between you and the relevant member of the Misys group for the identity of the contracting party with which you are dealing.