Subject: bug#22009: PATCH: Use `window-total-width' in `window-splittable-p'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2020 18:48:13 +0200

Joost Kremers <[email-masked]> writes:

> Following discussion on emacs-devel (thread "Window splitting issues
> with margins"), this patch replaces the call to `window-width' in
> `window-splittable-p' with `window-total-width'. This takes the window
> margins into account when determining if a window can be split
> horizontally.

[...]

> -	       (>= (window-width window)
> +	       (>= (window-total-width window)

[...]

>>> I'm not sure that would be able to handle cases where different modes
>>> use the margins for different purposes.
>>
>> I think this is the actual challenge in this bug report: design a way
>> that would make it possible.
>
> Yes. We discussed a possible way of doing this in the thread on
> emacs-devel. I'll start a new thread there with a summary of the issues
> and a proposal on how to solve them.

Skimming this bug report, I think everybody pretty much agreed that this
patch was better than the current behaviour, but that this new behaviour
isn't completely correct (especially for those mode that use the margins
to display useful information).

Did the discussion on emacs-devel come to any sort of useful conclusion?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no