Subject: Re: bug#22003: 24.5; *vc-dir* show ignored files for Mercurial

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 03:45:13 +0200

On 11/24/2015 11:10 AM, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:

>  From some newer version of Emacs (I currently on 24.5.1) after some operation
> `*vc-dir*` buffer begin to show *ignored* files.

I think that's a good default behavior, at least. The user might not be 
aware, at a given time, that the file he's trying to edit is ignored. 
Maybe they forgot or new to the project, or maybe the file is matched to 
a wildcard in .hgignore that wasn't intended for it.

Displaying the file's status in vc-dir when the user edits it makes 
sense. Similarly to what we do for up-to-date files that had a different 
status previously: we keep showing them in vc-dir.

> I specially craft `.hgignore` to make list of `hg status` short. But Emacs
> `vc-mode` doesn't respect my preference.

You can press `x', and that will hide them.

> Is it possible to ignore *ignored* files? I kill *vc-dir* and reopen in order
> to hide *ignored* files.

Nothing is impossible, of course. I'd review a patch introducing a 
custom variable. It will have to change vc-dir-resynch-file.