Subject: 24.3; segmentation fault

From: Peter Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:36:43 -0500

I went to go run emacs via "emacs introgaugetheory.tex" and
received the following error.

Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4f88ab]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4de47e]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4f74ae]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4f7613]
/lib64/libpthread.so.0(+0xf890)[0x7f31f3627890]
/lib64/libc.so.6(getenv+0xad)[0x7f31f32a828d]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x34e27c)[0x7f31f837f27c]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x34e3d5)[0x7f31f837f3d5]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x34e82d)[0x7f31f837f82d]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x2947bc)[0x7f31f82c57bc]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x294983)[0x7f31f82c5983]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(gtk_widget_get_preferred_height_and_baseline_for_width+0x98)[0x7f31f82c5cb8]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x294ded)[0x7f31f82c5ded]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x34ffe0)[0x7f31f8380fe0]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x3509c2)[0x7f31f83819c2]
/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0(+0x11247)[0x7f31f7035247]
/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_signal_emit_valist+0x438)[0x7f31f704d418]
/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_signal_emit+0x82)[0x7f31f704e062]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(+0x15a9fc)[0x7f31f818b9fc]
/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0(+0x11247)[0x7f31f7035247]
/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_signal_emit_valist+0x438)[0x7f31f704d418]
/usr/lib64/libgobject-2.0.so.0(g_signal_emit_by_name+0x522)[0x7f31f704e592]
/usr/lib64/libgdk-3.so.0(+0x31d12)[0x7f31f7db5d12]
/usr/lib64/libgdk-3.so.0(+0x21788)[0x7f31f7da5788]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x4c593)[0x7f31f6d61593]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_dispatch+0x135)[0x7f31f6d60b65]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(+0x4bed8)[0x7f31f6d60ed8]
/usr/lib64/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_main_context_iteration+0x2c)[0x7f31f6d60f7c]
/usr/lib64/libgtk-3.so.0(gtk_main_iteration+0x15)[0x7f31f8238fa5]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4b38d2]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4e56d1]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4e50f5]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4e5f49]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4e5fa3]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x4e6532]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x596502]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x55162f]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x55275c]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x55162f]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x5860cb]
/usr/bin/emacs[0x55112f]

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7)
 of 2015-10-25 on build24
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	openSUSE Leap 42.1 (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure '--with-pop' '--without-hesiod' '--with-kerberos'
 '--with-kerberos5' '--with-xim' '--with-wide-int' '--enable-autodepend'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--localstatedir=/var'
 '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--with-x'
 '--with-sound' '--with-xpm' '--with-jpeg' '--with-tiff' '--with-gif'
 '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-dbus' '--without-gpm'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--x-includes=/usr/include'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/lib64' '--with-xft' '--with-libotf'
 '--with-m17n-flt' '--build=x86_64-suse-linux'
 'build_alias=x86_64-suse-linux' 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE -pipe
 -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2 -Wl,--hash-size=65521''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e [ <tab> <backspace> <tab> p o r t <tab> <r
eturn>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Loading vc-git...done
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/xslide/suse-start-xslide hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/suse-start-xslide

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr warnings emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode vc-git tex-mode compile shell
pcomplete comint ansi-color ring latexenc haskell-mode-autoloads info
finder-inf package xfonts rmailgen paren sgml-mode psgml easymenu ispell
time-date delsel lpr tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)