Subject: bug#22000: Patch addressing the menu-bar frame-resize interaction

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 09:24:56 +0200

>> From gtk 3.16 onwards setting the policy on the horizontal scrollbar
 > to EXTERNAL will suppress the scrollbar _and_ suppress the resizing
 > behaviour (which is effectively the old behaviour).

Sounds great.  Please control it via a frame parameter as you
suggested earlier.  I think we can then in all conscience offer both,
the truncating and the auto-resizing behavior, as "features".

 > Since that's what I actually want, it's good enough for me.
 >
 > If you think the feature would be welcome, I am happy to add a
 > frame-parameter driven optional scrolling behaviour for the
 > menu bar in case people prefer that.

Fine.  Would scrolling be drivable by mouse and/or the keyboard?

martin

While you're there: Do you have any idea whether the bugs 23672, 28106
and 31223 could be in some way related to the present issue?  I doubt
it because

(emacs25:16785): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkBox to a GtkMenuItem, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkMenuItem can only
contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type
GtkAccelLabel

from Bug#28106 points at us doing something silly when adding a menu
item and

(emacs25:16785): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_device_grab_add: assertion
'GDK_IS_DEVICE (device)' failed

seems completely unrelated but who knows ...