Subject: Re: bug#22000: Patch addressing the menu-bar frame-resize interaction

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 19:57:11 +0200

> Further testing under KDE shows three things:
 >
 > 1. I get a vertical scrollbar on the right for the echo
 >     area/minibuffer line but not the menubar using emacs -Q on
 >     unmodified emacs-26, so that was not introduced by this patch

Hmmm... Could you investigatte why this happens?  Note that the echo
area/minibuffer window by default hay a vertical scroll bar, just that
it is hidden when the window height is less than the minimum length of
the slider, see the following part of gtkutil.c:

       if (hidden)
         {
           /* No room.  Hide scroll bar as some themes output a warning if
              the height is less than the min size.  */
           gtk_widget_hide (wparent);
           gtk_widget_hide (wscroll);
         }

If you put a breakpoint at the 'if' you should see what's different
between GNOME and KDE.

 > 2. In unmodified emacs-26, the line separating the menu bar from the
 >     tool bar is solid, not dotted
 >
 > 3. I can get rid of the menu bar truncation issue by setting
 >     margin-bottom to 10px

When you do that does the spearator become solid again?

 > (but I still have the vertical scrollbar).

Funny.  I suppose that vertical menu bar scroll bar is of no use, that
is, you don't get any truncated items in a second row?

martin