Subject: Re: bug#22000: Patch addressing the menu-bar frame-resize interaction

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 15:44:20 +0200

Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> Iʼm seeing a *vertical* scroll bar. So probably this is just a slight
>>> miscalculation of the menubar height (but then why is it different
>>> under KDE than GNOME?). Would it make sense to start playing with
>>> gtkutil.c:MENUBAR_STYLESHEET ?
>>
>> I think so.  But I'd like to see at least one or two other persons
>> with sufficiently new GTKs kick in (Stephen, pretty please) so we get
>> a more complete picture of which problems may occur.
>
>   ".mbtrunc  * { border-width: 1px; margin-top: -2px; margin-bottom: -2px; }\n" \
>
> Iʼm thinking maybe that margin-bottom should be 0px or something? Iʼll
> see if I can try that later.

Further testing under KDE shows three things:

1. I get a vertical scrollbar on the right for the echo
   area/minibuffer line but not the menubar using emacs -Q on
   unmodified emacs-26, so that was not introduced by this patch

2. In unmodified emacs-26, the line separating the menu bar from the
   tool bar is solid, not dotted

3. I can get rid of the menu bar truncation issue by setting
   margin-bottom to 10px (but I still have the vertical scrollbar).

Robert