Subject: Re: bug#22000: Patch addressing the menu-bar frame-resize interaction

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 11:14:57 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Something very strange is going on: menu-bar-scrollbar-mode is nil by
>> default, so why am I seeing a scrollbar at all?
>
> Can you please describe the steps you performed?  Is this with -Q or
> in a session where you turned the menu bar on later?

emacs -Q. But I was confused about the scrollbar :-)

>> Even stranger: with KDE I see the scrollbar, but running the same
>> emacs binary under GNOME I donʼt (and the menubar is truncated when
>> the frame is too narrow, so the functionality is fine).
>
> Is there no way to turn the scroll bar off under KDE?  Can you turn
> the scroll bar on under GNOME?

Under GNOME, I see truncation when the frame is too narrow. If I set
menu-bar-scrollbar-mode to 'always', I get a horizontal scrollbar when
the frame is too narrow. (I haven't retried KDE yet).

So itʼs all working fine, except for the visual glitch under KDE.

>> Yes. Iʼm thinking there should be no scrollbar at all.
>>
>> <Coffee kicks in>
>>
>> Iʼm seeing a *vertical* scroll bar. So probably this is just a slight
>> miscalculation of the menubar height (but then why is it different
>> under KDE than GNOME?). Would it make sense to start playing with
>> gtkutil.c:MENUBAR_STYLESHEET ?
>
> I think so.  But I'd like to see at least one or two other persons
> with sufficiently new GTKs kick in (Stephen, pretty please) so we get
> a more complete picture of which problems may occur.

  ".mbtrunc  * { border-width: 1px; margin-top: -2px; margin-bottom: -2px; }\n" \

Iʼm thinking maybe that margin-bottom should be 0px or something? Iʼll
see if I can try that later.

Robert