Subject: bug#22000: Patch addressing the menu-bar frame-resize interaction

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 09:41:07 +0200

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Iʼve tried the patch now,
>
> Thank you.  Please try also customizing the option from the menu bar
> and please also try its main feature: Make the frame sufficently
> narrow, type M-x dired RET RET, and test whether the menu bar gets
> truncated instead of resizing the frame.
>

Something very strange is going on: menu-bar-scrollbar-mode is nil by
default, so why am I seeing a scrollbar at all?

Even stranger: with KDE I see the scrollbar, but running the same
emacs binary under GNOME I donʼt (and the menubar is truncated when
the frame is too narrow, so the functionality is fine).

>>  and am seeing some minor display glitches
>> from emacs -Q. The space allocated for the menu bar seems slightly too
>> small, resulting in a dotted line underneath it, see screenshot. This
>> is with gtk 3.22.30.
>
> From that screenshot it's also evident that descenders are truncated,
> in particular the "p" in Options, Help ...

Yes. Iʼm thinking there should be no scrollbar at all.

<Coffee kicks in>

Iʼm seeing a *vertical* scroll bar. So probably this is just a slight
miscalculation of the menubar height (but then why is it different
under KDE than GNOME?). Would it make sense to start playing with
gtkutil.c:MENUBAR_STYLESHEET ?

Robert