Subject: bug#22000: Patch addressing the menu-bar frame-resize interaction

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:44:27 +0200

> Patchset attached.
 >
 > Rebased on:
 >
 >    5bd8cfc14d4b0c78c07e65a583f42a10c4cbc06d
 >    Fix mishandling of symbols that look like numbers
 >
 > Built and briefly tested locally.

The patchset still doesn't apply to master since master has evolved
differently.  I get:

Hunk #1 succeeded at 5671 (offset 11 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 5690 (offset 11 lines).
Checking patch src/gtkutil.c...
error: while searching for:
   struct x_output *x = f->output_data.x;
   GtkRequisition req;
   GtkScrolledWindow *sw;

   if (!x->menubar_widget || gtk_widget_get_mapped (x->menubar_widget))
     return;

error: patch failed: src/gtkutil.c:3455
error: src/gtkutil.c: patch does not apply
Checking patch src/xfns.c...
error: while searching for:
		       NILP (Vtool_bar_mode)
		       ? make_number (0) : make_number (1),
		       NULL, NULL, RES_TYPE_NUMBER);

   x_default_parameter (f, parms, Qbuffer_predicate, Qnil,
		       "bufferPredicate", "BufferPredicate",
		       RES_TYPE_SYMBOL);

error: patch failed: src/xfns.c:3888
error: src/xfns.c: patch does not apply

and in fact

   GtkScrolledWindow *sw;

has been removed from the former and the latter is now

		       NILP (Vtool_bar_mode)
		       ? make_fixnum (0) : make_fixnum (1),
		       NULL, NULL, RES_TYPE_NUMBER);

   x_default_parameter (f, parms, Qbuffer_predicate, Qnil,
		       "bufferPredicate", "BufferPredicate",
		       RES_TYPE_SYMBOL);

So in fact we would need two different patch sets here.  Let's
stick with the release version for the moment:

Here patches 0001 and 0002 fix the resize problem but I get a too large
menu bar which makes GTK builds pretty unusable.  Didn't we agree that
you make the fix optional?  That is, one option value (say 'truncate')
for users who want the resize problem get fixed and who are willing to
pay for that with a higher menu bar.  And one option value (say
'resize') for users who can live with the resizing problem but care more
about the height of the menu bar.

 > I still haven't been able to reproduced the missing menu bar symptom
 > you described, with or without -q.

Patches 0003, 0004 and 0005 make the menu bar invisible at start (with
emacs -Q) and don't allow to bring it back via M-x: menu-bar-mode.  I
can get it back with my customized Emacs, though.  Any ideas (this is
GTK version 3.4.2)?

Thanks, martin