Subject: Re: bug#21987: Version 0.9 Fails to Compile on Raspbian

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:03:21 +0100

(Please keep [email-masked] Cc’d.)

Martin Vahi <[email-masked]> skribis:

> checking build system type... armv6l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
> checking host system type... armv6l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf

[...]

> checking for the Guix system type... armhf-linux

This is the problem: ‘configure’ should bail out when it encounters
“armv6l”.  I believe the patch below solves that.

The triplet we pass to ‘./configure --build’ starts with “arm-”
(computed from ‘nix-system->gnu-triplet’.)  However, when running
config.guess outside of the Guix environment on hydra-slave1, I get
“armv7l”.  So I think we have to allow both.

Mark?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

diff --git a/m4/guix.m4 b/m4/guix.m4
index 842249a..4f586b6 100644
--- a/m4/guix.m4
+++ b/m4/guix.m4
@@ -51,7 +51,12 @@ AC_DEFUN([GUIX_SYSTEM_TYPE], [
           machine_name="i686";;
        amd64)
           machine_name="x86_64";;
-       arm*)
+       arm|armv7*)
+          # Here we want to exclude CPUs such as "armv6l".  On ARMv7
+          # machines, we normally get "armv7l".  However, in Guix, we
+          # configure with --build=arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf, leading
+          # to just "arm", so we also have to allow it.
+          #
           # TODO: If not cross-compiling, add a sanity check to make
           #       sure this build machine has the needed features to
           #       support executables compiled using our armhf gcc,