Subject: Re: bug#21982: 25.1.50; Building emacs-25 branch fails

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:48:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Can you run Emacs under valgrind?  It should be able to find the
> offending code.  (I assume that just running by hand the single
> command that aborts is sufficient to reproduce the problem.)

I would first have to learn how to do that.

I did something different in the meantime.  I bisected again, but with
version.el fix from the first bad commit.  This leaded to

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
a4c6f55b9a222849a1c5d590589b1f8f0627d6f8 is the first bad commit
commit a4c6f55b9a222849a1c5d590589b1f8f0627d6f8
Author: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Nov 15 07:00:45 2015 +0200
    Unify the absolutely equal xref-backend-references implementations
    
    * lisp/progmodes/elisp-mode.el (xref-backend-references):
    Remove.
    
    * lisp/progmodes/etags.el (xref-backend-references):
    Remove.
    
    * lisp/progmodes/xref.el (xref-backend-references):
    Define the default implementation.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So, this is the commit that caused the change in version.el to break
Emacs.  Dunno if this is the end of the chain.

Is this information useful?

Michael.