Subject: Re: bug#21981: request: dired: require dired-x by default

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 11:53:22 +0200

>>>>> On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 09:16:20 -0700, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> said:
    Stefan> +@findex dired-jump
    Stefan> +@findex dired-jump-other-window
    Stefan> +@kindex C-x C-j
    Stefan> +@kindex C-x 4 C-j
    Stefan> +  Typing @kbd{C-x C-j} (@code{dired-jump}) in any buffer will open a
    Stefan> +Dired buffer and move point to the line of the current file.  In

I had to read dired-jump's docstring before I understood this. Perhaps
'to the line corresponding to the current file.'?

    Stefan> ++++
    Stefan> +*** Moved commands from dired-x.

*** 'dired-jump' and 'dired-jump-other-window' moved from dired-x to dired.

    Stefan> +The 'dired-jump' and 'dired-jump-other-window' commands have been
    Stefan> +moved from the 'dired-x' package to 'dired'.  The variable

I think we call this a 'user option'

    Stefan> +'dired-bind-jump' no longer has any effect and is now obsolete.
    Stefan> +The commands are bound to 'C-x C-j' and 'C-x 4 C-j'.

"are now bound to 'C-x C-j' and 'C-x 4 C-j' by default."