Subject: bug#21972: closed (Re: bug#21972: 24.5; Running 'bash -i -c' via shell-command hangs on FreeBSD)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 11:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#21972: 24.5; Running 'bash -i -c' via shell-command hangs on FreeBSD

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21972: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21972
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21972: 24.5; Running 'bash -i -c' via shell-command hangs on FreeBSD
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Davor Cubranic <[email-masked]>
Cc: Davor Cubranic <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2019 13:36:52 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Davor Cubranic <[email-masked]> writes:

> I can't reproduce this now because I don't use FreeBSD any more, and as Eli said in the four years since the bug was filed both Emacs and Bash have moved on, so feel free to close the report.

Thanks for reporting back.  With the above, I'm closing this bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.5; Running 'bash -i -c' via shell-command hangs on FreeBSD
From: Davor Cubranic <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 06:20:26 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On FreeBSD, running:

  M-x shell-command
  /usr/local/bin/bash -i -c "echo hello"

hangs until you press C-g (twice). I can see the bash process running at
100% via `top` until C-g kills it.

Adding `--norc --noprofile` to the command still hangs, so it's not
anything about the shell initialization files. The `-i` option is the
key: without it, everything works fine.

Running the same command via `async-shell-command` does not hang: Bash
outputs "hello" in the "*Async Shell Command*" buffer and exits.

Both Emacs and Bash are standard FreeBSD 10 binary packages installed
via `pkg`. (emacs24-24.5_1,3 and bash-4.3.42, respectively).

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1, GTK+ Version 2.24.28)
 of 2015-11-13 on builds.pcbsd.org
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11704000
Configured using:
 `configure --localstatedir=/var --disable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-file-notification --with-gconf --with-gif --with-gnutls
 --with-gsettings --with-jpeg --with-m17n-flt --with-imagemagick
 --with-libotf --with-png --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-rsvg
 --with-tiff --with-x --with-xft --with-xim --with-xml2 --with-xpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk2 --with-sound=oss --x-libraries=/usr/local/lib
 --x-includes=/usr/local/include --prefix=/usr/local
 --mandir=/usr/local/man --infodir=/usr/local/share/emacs/info/
 --build=amd64-portbld-freebsd10.1 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe -fstack-protector
 -fno-strict-aliasing' CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include 'LDFLAGS=
 -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath=/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71124 7466)
 (symbols 48 17557 0)
 (miscs 40 33 88)
 (strings 32 9070 4601)
 (string-bytes 1 248833)
 (vectors 16 8904)
 (vector-slots 8 382922 19034)
 (floats 8 63 88)
 (intervals 56 201 7)
 (buffers 960 11))