Subject: 25.1.50; EUDC conversion to BBDB 3 incompatibility

From: George McNinch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 09:30:42 -0500

I'm reporting an incompatibility between functions found in
eudc-export.el and BBDB3.

The version of eudc should be implied by the emacs-25 version info
below. The version of bbdb is

bbdb-20151114.1541

installed from MELPA.

Here is how to reproduce the issue.

I initialize/configure bbdb, eudc and ldap as follows:

;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; bbdb

(use-package bbdb
  :config
  (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'sc 'aliases))

;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; eudc and ldap

(use-package eudc
  :config
  (eudc-set-server "ldap.tufts.edu" 'ldap t)
  (setq eudc-server-hotlist '(("ldap.tufts.edu" . ldap)))
  (setq eudc-inline-expansion-servers 'hotlist)
  (setq eudc-inline-query-format '((name)
				   (firstname)
				   (firstname name)
				   (email)
				   ))
  (setq eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist
	`((name . cn)
	  (net . mail)
	  (address eudc-bbdbify-address postaladdress "Address"))))

(use-package ldap
  :config
  (setq ldap-host-parameters-alist
	'(("ldap.tufts.edu" base "dc=tufts,dc=edu")))
  (setq ldap-ldapsearch-args (quote ("-tt" "-LLL" "-x"))))

;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now do

M-x eudc-query server

Any hit will do; with the above server setting, you can e.g. find *me*
by entering McNinch as NAME in the query form.

After pushing the "query server" button, enter the *Directory Query
Results* buffer, put point on a record (for an individual not already in
the bbdb), and press 'b' (or do M-x eudc-try-bbdb-insert ).

I get an error, which is reported in messages as 

bbdb-change-record: Wrong type argument: listp, t

In fact, a record *has* been inserted into the bbdb; in this case it
looks like

["George" "McNinch" nil "[email-masked]" nil nil nil nil ((creation-date . "2015-11-21 14:13:29 +0000") (timestamp . "2015-11-21 14:13:29 +0000")) nil]

(assuming McNinch was not already in the bbdb, of course).

This record seems "mangled" from the point-of-view of BBDB3 - the email
address should be "in a list" inside this record-vector. Perhaps other
things are amiss, as well.

Note also that the setting of eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist I made
above isn't quite the original value. If I instead use the original
value, e.g. by instead using the original value

[which amounts to:

  (setq eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist
	`((name . cn)
	  (net . mail)
	  (address eudc-bbdbify-address postaladdress "Address")
	  (phone
	   (eudc-bbdbify-phone telephonenumber "Phone")))

in the initialization of EUDC],

then when I press "b" on a record
in the *Directory Query Results* buffer, I get the error

eudc-bbdbify-phone: Symbol’s function definition is void:
bbdb-parse-phone-number

;;---------------------------------------------------------------------------
In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2015-11-15
Repository revision: 70f1fda4ae6abb5e11dcf281738c25f6f5b06061
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.2 (jessie)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Parsing results... done
eudc-bbdbify-phone: Symbol’s function definition is void: bbdb-parse-phone-number
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug sendmail bbdb-com crm
goto-addr thingatpt eudcb-ldap ldap eudc cus-edit cus-start cus-load
eudc-vars wid-edit bbdb bbdb-site timezone message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
use-package diminish bind-key easy-mmode url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars finder-inf info package
easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 135459 17741)
 (symbols 48 24227 0)
 (miscs 40 125 165)
 (strings 32 27735 3761)
 (string-bytes 1 835086)
 (vectors 16 16572)
 (vector-slots 8 486561 5903)
 (floats 8 210 32)
 (intervals 56 364 0)
 (buffers 976 16)
 (heap 1024 48378 1131))