Subject: Re: bug#21971: 25.1.50; EUDC conversion to BBDB 3 incompatibility

From: George McNinch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 10:00:02 -0500

Hi Thomas,

    TF> With your eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist workaround still
    TF> enabled, can you try the attached patch to see if it fixes
    TF> exporting for you?

Indeed, this works fine for me; thanks!

    >> Note also that the setting of eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist I
    >> made above isn't quite the original value. If I instead use the
    >> original value, e.g. by instead using the original value
    >> 
    >> [which amounts to:
    >> 
    >> (setq eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist `((name . cn) (net . mail)
    >> (address eudc-bbdbify-address postaladdress "Address") (phone
    >> (eudc-bbdbify-phone telephonenumber "Phone")))
    >> 
    >> 
    >> in the initialization of EUDC],
    >> 
    >> then when I press "b" on a record in the *Directory Query
    >> Results* buffer, I get the error
    >> 
    >> eudc-bbdbify-phone: Symbol’s function definition is void:
    >> bbdb-parse-phone-number

    TF> OK, this seems like a separate issue.  I haven't investigated it
    TF> yet.

Right; should I have made a separate report, or is this OK?  

--------------------------------------------
By the way:

I wonder: if bbdb really now uses "mail" instead of "net", I'd think
that (?) that eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist should instead read:

  (setq eudc-ldap-bbdb-conversion-alist
   `((name . cn)
     (mail . mail)
     (address eudc-bbdbify-address postaladdress "Address")))

But that doesn't seem to work (I tried... I get then BBDB record with
*no* mail field at all).

In general, I find it difficult to work out what can be used in that
alist. E.g. it seems that there is a key symbol ou for the record
passed to eudc-create-bbdb-record.

So I tried adding the pair

 (Organizations . ou)

to that alist, but it doens't seem to populate the "right part of the
BBDB record" - in fact, the BBDB record gets a new line with an
Organizations field, but it makes the BBDB unhappy (it eventually
complains of an "illegal field" or something). I'd hoped to populate the
bit that shows up to the right of the name when displaying the BBDB
record, which I thought was called "Organizations".

I also tried (organization . ou) and (company . ou) and maybe a few
others, but nothing seemed to work and guessing doesn't seem so healthy,
and looking at the code in eudc-export.el doesn't seem like

Well, this is a distraction, and only tangentially related to the patch,
but it does point out that it'd be nice to have a clearer definition of
the fields on both sides of this conversion...!

Best,
george

-- 
   + + +   George McNinch <[email-masked]>                        
   + + +   http://gmcninch.math.tufts.edu