Subject: bug#21965: closed (Re: bug#21965: 24.5; Emacs freezes when canceling at open file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 13:55:03 +0000

Your bug report

#21965: 24.5; Emacs freezes when canceling at open file

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
21965: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21965
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#21965: 24.5; Emacs freezes when canceling at open file
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Maneesh Yadav <[email-masked]>
Cc: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 13:54:51 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Maneesh Yadav <[email-masked]> writes:

> Indeed. Fwiw haven't run into it since that era.

Thanks.  I'm therefore closing this bug report.

If you see something like this again, please open a new bug.

Subject: 24.5; Emacs freezes when canceling at open file
From: Maneesh Yadav <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 11:18:41 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I was experiencing frequent 'freezing' after pressing 'Ctrl-g-g' (I
think I have defaulted to pressing twice to make sure I've cancelled out
of partial command, seeing "quit" makes me feel happier than "C-x C-g is
undefined").

This doesn't seem completely repeatable (but I did just do it on my
first try just now): I start 'emacs -Q' and Ctrl-x Ctrl-f to see a
prompt in the minibuffer for a file and then Ctrl-g Ctrl-g then emacs
freezes (does not respond to Ctrl-g or any keystrokes...I don't think
I'm naively invoking an process control key binding (checked with stty-a).

Ugh, I am behind on my debug skills, I couldn't find out how to
compile my macports version with debug symbols.  After I kill  with
"pkill -USR2 emacs", I get this output (is this useful?):

0   emacs                               0x000000010009ebe9
emacs_backtrace + 87
1   emacs                               0x0000000100084ffa
terminate_due_to_signal + 97
2   emacs                               0x000000010009d77b
init_baud_rate + 0
3   emacs                               0x000000010008e5d3
handle_interrupt + 590
4   emacs                               0x000000010009e808
deliver_process_signal + 53
5   libsystem_platform.dylib            0x00007fff8c44df1a _sigtramp +
26
6   ???                                 0x0646666406466664 0x0 +
452161392385353316
7   libglib-2.0.0.dylib                 0x0000000100888ba1 g_mutex_lock
+ 26
8   libglib-2.0.0.dylib                 0x000000010084c284
g_main_context_acquire + 42
9   emacs                               0x00000001001447cc xg_select +
135
10  emacs                               0x000000010012dbe2
wait_reading_process_output + 2074
11  emacs                               0x00000001000075b5 sit_for + 260
12  emacs                               0x000000010008be56 read_char +
5024
13  emacs                               0x000000010008918c
read_key_sequence + 1526
14  emacs                               0x0000000100088973
command_loop_1 + 3983
15  emacs                               0x00000001000f251e
internal_condition_case + 251
16  emacs                               0x00000001000966c9
command_loop_2 + 53
17  emacs                               0x00000001000f1f48
internal_catch + 243
18  emacs                               0x00000001000871ea
recursive_edit_1 + 206
19  emacs                               0x000000010008738d
Frecursive_edit + 236
20  emacs                               0x000000010008648e main + 4658
21  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff8707a5c9 start + 1
22  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin14.4.0)
 of 2015-08-25 on Maneeshs-MacBook-Air.local
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/opt/local --without-x --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt --without-gpm
 --without-gnutls --with-xml2 --infodir /opt/local/share/info/emacs
 'CFLAGS=-pipe -Os -arch x86_64' CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -Wl,-no_pie
 -arch x86_64''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: us
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu xterm
time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process gfilenotify multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 74606 6954)
 (symbols 48 16694 0)
 (miscs 40 32 141)
 (strings 32 9404 4608)
 (string-bytes 1 257827)
 (vectors 16 7133)
 (vector-slots 8 335922 32343)
 (floats 8 52 663)
 (intervals 56 176 13)
 (buffers 960 12))