Subject: Re: bug#21959: [25.1.50.1] No way to save customization from emacs -Q

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 08:07:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> A way around is to start with -Q and load init-file interactively.
>> However then saving options via customize isn't possible, which seems a bug.
>
> No, it's a deliberate feature.  From the Emacs manual:
>
>      If Emacs was invoked with the `-q' or `--no-init-file' options
>   (*note Initial Options::), it will not let you save your customizations
>   in your initialization file.  This is because saving customizations
>   from such a session would wipe out all the other customizations you
>   might have on your initialization file.

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
at the time.)

When the user has used "-Q", I think the intention is to use not affect
customisations.  If we open up for saving customisations done in "emacs
-Q", that opens up a can of worms where we may be overwriting some
customisations the user has done in a "real" session, because Emacs is
set up quite differently when not using "-Q".

So I don't think we should do this, and I'm therefore closing this bug
report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no