Subject: Re: bug#21955: 25.0.50; vc-next-action fails from *vc-change-log* buffer

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 20:42:57 +0100

On 2015-11-18 20:53 +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:

> On 11/18/2015 08:47 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> Visit some file in a git repository, make a change and save it. Press
>> C-x v l do view the file's version history.  Press C-x v v to commit
>> your changes.  Result is an error:
>
> I'm sure it should work that way. `C-x v v' committing the current
> file is fine, but you've switched to a different buffer.

It used to work in Emacs 24, and I have come to rely on that behavior.
Apparently the fix for bug #19084 changed it, vc-deduce-fileset in the
*vc-change-log* buffer no longer returns the file whose history is
displayed, but rather the directory it is in.

> Do we promise
> the behavior you want somewhere in the documentation?

Not explicitly, but I find it a bit surprising (and annoying) that the
command to list the changelog of a fileset does not preserve that same
fileset in the log buffer.

Certainly the behavior of C-x v L is more correct now, but the one of
C-x v l has regressed.

>> vc-next-action: Wrong type argument: listp, "/usr/local/src/emacs/"
>
> I can make it fail with a more comprehensible error message.

That's the least I would expect.

Cheers,
       Sven