Subject: bug#21953: Eliminate warnings in the emacs-25 release branch

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 09:31:16 +0000

Hello, Dmitry.

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 02:28:32AM +0200, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> On 11/24/2015 09:55 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > Sir, I take exception to that!  :-)  Last time I looked (about 10 minutes
> > ago), CC Mode produced but a single byte compiler warning.

> That's a pretty cool result. I don't see any warnings left, actually.

Actually, at the time I wrote that email, there were two.  One of those
only showed itself when the cc-*.el files were compiled one at a time
(as is done in building Emacs) rather than all together.  But I've got
rid of these last two too.

> > That partly explains the warning left in CC Mode, yes.

> I see you're taking a systematic approach to backward compatibility, 
> with dynamic selection of definitions, aliases (and probably something 
> else). Were any of those made specifically to avoid a byte-compilation 
> warning? I wonder if that's worth it.

The backward compatibility stuff has been there for decades (well, over
ten years anyway, possibly over twenty).  Most of the stuff in cc-fix.el
has been fixed in all supported platforms, in particular in Emacs.  That
is why cc-fix.el isn't needed (and doesn't exist) in Emacs.  But
`delete-dups' still doesn't exist in XEmacs 21.4.x.

Whether it's worth it?  I suppose, some time "soon", I should get rid of
backward compatibility stuff not needed any more, and also wierd hacks
(like defining a function with "(eval '(defun cc-bytecomp-load ...))"
because a proper byte compilation caused XEmacs to dump core back in
2003).

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).