Subject: bug#21953: Eliminate warnings in the emacs-25 release branch

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Nov 2015 19:55:43 -0000

In article <[email-masked]> you wrote:
> On 11/19/2015 04:06 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

>> I've never worked on a project where getting to warning free was not both
>> achievable, and a good idea.

> What will you get, as a result?

> I can get behind taking care of "correctness" warnings, but if we lose 
> the obsolete functions warnings, we risk forgetting to take care of 
> their causes.

> And it's not like we can actually fix all instances of obsolete usages 
> before the current release: a significant part of the warnings comes 
> from gnus, org, cc-mode .....

Sir, I take exception to that!  :-)  Last time I looked (about 10 minutes
ago), CC Mode produced but a single byte compiler warning.

> .... and calendar, all of which, I'm assuming, have to support older
> Emacsen.

That partly explains the warning left in CC Mode, yes.

> We _should_ be able to take care of CEDET warnings, but probably after 
> their development migrates here.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).