Subject: bug#21934: 24.5; find-tag: reading TAGS file incorrectly

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:33:09 +0200

On 11/22/2015 04:08 PM, Andreas Matthias wrote:

> In the example given Rectangle is a data structure called table and a
> table is an associative array. In Lua you can put variables and
> functions into a table. So Rectangle.getPos() is the function getPos()
> of table Rectangle.

So I think what you're saying is lua-mode should add "." to the 
syntax-class "symbol". However:

> Though Lua does not know the concept of classes, it
> is easy to model object-oriented behavior by means of tables.
>
> In addition to the dot-operator there's also a colon-operator in Lua which
> acts like the dot-operator but hides the self/this parameter of OOP.

Is it usual that, when defining classes that way, you *will* define 
methods using the dot notation, and then later use them with an 
"instance variable", using the colon notation? Like in this article:

http://www.lua.org/pil/16.html

You define the method with "function Account.withdraw (self, v)",
and then use it in "a1.withdraw(a1, 100.00)".

It seems that etags should at least output two tag names for this 
declaration: both "Account.withdraw" and just "withdraw".