Subject: 25.1.50; Symbol’s function definition is void: url-insert-buffer-contents

From: Sébastien Le Callonnec <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:00:06 +0000

Following 7cc233e1e3da297882c006c1f07c628fbd4e94d5, `list-packages`
fails with the following error on emacs master branch:

Symbol’s function definition is void: url-insert-buffer-contents

I think this is because this new function in lisp/url/url-handlers.el
misses the autoload cookie.

This can be reproduced by running `emacs -Q` and eval the following:

(require 'package)
(list-packages)

Regards,
Sébastien.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2015-11-16
Repository revision: 937565268a5dc3377d4c9bff6d48eb3645a77160
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11701000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.3 LTS

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gnutls --with-rsvg'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
#<buffer *Packages*>
Package refresh done
error in process filter: Symbol’s function definition is void:
url-insert-buffer-contents [2 times]
Mark set
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail mail-utils cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit network-stream
nsm starttls url-http tls mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv
eieio-core cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap epg finder-inf
package easymenu epg-config time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 180566 12601)
 (symbols 48 23673 0)
 (miscs 40 581 140)
 (strings 32 33164 5183)
 (string-bytes 1 865500)
 (vectors 16 18068)
 (vector-slots 8 492319 10679)
 (floats 8 234 126)
 (intervals 56 7382 8)
 (buffers 976 15)
 (heap 1024 32260 1021))