Subject: Re: bug#21932: 24.3.1; tabulated-list-mode minor bugs and feature requests

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 17:06:26 -0700

Ken Raeburn <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1) Tabulated list mode doesn’t line the columns up properly if you use C-x C— or
> C-x C-+ to alter the text size.

This is still an issue.

> 2) When changing the text size, the text of the header line is unchanged.

See the patch in Bug#41852.  Perhaps the work regarding this can
continue there.

> 3) Tabulated list mode doesn’t line the columns up properly if you use
> variable-pitch-mode.

This is still an issue.

> 4) On most graphical displays it should be capable of using the Unicode ellipsis
> code point U+2026 instead of taking up three columns with dots;

This seems to have been fixed since this bug was reported.

> 5) Adjustable column widths: Many table-based GUIs I’ve seen let the user grab
> the dividing line between headers and drag it left or right to alter a field’s
> width, sometimes with limits to how wide or narrow the field is allowed to be.
> It wouldn’t work for every case, but when there is a padding space between
> column headers, perhaps it can be given mouse bindings similar to the way
> mouse-drag-vertical-line works.

We now have the commands `{' (`tabulated-list-narrow-current-column')
and `}' (`tabulated-list-widen-current-column').  But it would be nice
to also have controls to change the widths using the mouse.  I guess the
challenge would be to ensure that it worked smoothly, as the mentioned
commands are fairly slow (average 0.4 seconds on my machine in
`list-packages').