Subject: bug#21922: Indentation of Emacs Lisp list constants is surprising

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 02:33:16 +0200

Hi Clément,

On 11/14/2015 08:29 PM, Clément Pit--Claudel wrote:

> I'm posting this following a suggestion from Stefan on a discussion on
> Emacs' stackexchange site at https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/16942/

See Stefan's comment under your question. I also think it's a bug.

> Is there a reason for this behaviour? I could possibly understand it for
> back-quoted lists, as it would yield better indentation for macros, but
> what about lists?

We'll have to keep back-quoted lists an exception either way, for 
macros, and because of that we'll sometimes mis-indent "value" lists as 
well, because it can be handy to use backquotes for them, too.

That might be the main reason we haven't bothered to fix this yet. But 
someone should look into fixing the straight-quote case at least, and 
propose a patch.

> On stackexchange, Oleh suggested using
>
> (setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function)

We recommend against this, e.g. because it would cause a lot of 
indentation changes in the Emacs codebase.