Subject: Re: bug#21893: 25.0.50; Using scroll-*-command in follow-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 16:55:15 +0200

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> follow.el could use better commands scroll-up-command/scroll-down-command
> like in this patch to work smoothly when scroll-error-top-bottom is t,
> but a special condition in follow-scroll-up/follow-scroll-down
> that checks for scroll-preserve-screen-position prevents from scrolling
> and returns point to the old position, and there is no comment
> explaining this special-casing.

[...]

> -	 (scroll-up arg))
> +	 (scroll-up-command arg))

Your patch basically replaces some of the calls to scroll-{up,down} with
scroll-{up/down}-command, which I think makes sense, since this is
supposed to emulate the normal scroll up/down commands, as far as I can
tell.

But the patch no longer applies, and I don't use follow mode.  Could a
follow mode user say whether this is what they'd expect, and if so, spin
a new patch?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no