Subject: Re: bug#21889: hostname -f

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 09:53:28 -0700

tag 21889 notabug
thanks

On 11/12/2015 05:16 AM, Notes Jonny wrote:
> GNU package seems to be quite different to the standard debian package

Or rather, debian packages a different hostname for their distro than
the GNU coreutils' hostname.

> 
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/hostname
> 
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/hostname.1.html
> 
> Cygwin uses GNU Coreutils version with my old cygwin seems to not support -f
> 
> Could "hostname" be standardised, creating a single package, rather
> than duplicating?

This is a distro question, and better asked on the cygwin list.  GNU
coreutils has already marked hostname as one of the utilities that can
easily be excluded from installation, for the sake of distros that plan
to package a different package's hostname as their default.  But it is
then up to the distro which other hostname they plan to use, which is
more relevant to the distro and not to upstream coreutils.

> I am not on this list, so could you include my email address  in any replies

That's already list policy (thanks to the reply-to-all feature of modern
mail clients).

I don't see anything that needs to change in upstream coreutils, so I'm
closing the bug report in this database.  However, feel free to add
further comments to this thread, and/or to take your question to the
cygwin list on how you propose they change their distro.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org