Subject: Re: 25.0.50; point-entered no longer works

From: Kaushal Modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 17:55:10 -0400

@Stefan With respect to:

>
> I personally like the fact that I can occasionally move into the prompt
> and copy portions of it like any other chunk of text, so I think we
> should generally (by default) refrain from making text intangible except
> when *really* needed.

How about setting the below as default:

    (setq minibuffer-prompt-properties '(read-only t cursor-intangible t
face minibuffer-prompt))

I find having the above very risky in user config because it simply
overrides whatever the default value of minibuffer-prompt-properties would
be. Also using setq/defcustom is the best way; append/add-to-list/setcdr
will not work very well because of the format of this variable's value.
What I mean is that the list manipulation would have been much more
convenient from the user end without risking complete override of the
default value, had it been in an alist format like below:

    (setq minibuffer-prompt-properties '((read-only t)
                                         (cursor-intangible t)
                                         (face minibuffer-prompt)))

The user then needs to add just one line to their config if they want to
make the minibuffer prompts untouchable.

    (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook #'cursor-intangible-mode)

If you don't have that add-hook in your config, you will get the behavior
you want, correct?

Summary:
(1) Proposal to set the default value of minibuffer-prompt-properties
to '(read-only
t cursor-intangible t face minibuffer-prompt). I believe this should go in
emacs-25, not master.
(2) User can then put the following in their config to get untouchable
minibuffer prompts: (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook
#'cursor-intangible-mode)