Subject: bug#21874: 25.0.50; point-entered no longer works

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:27:22 -0500

Emacs -q

C-a avoids the minibuffer prompt, but cursor movement with left-arrow is still possible.  That seems to be intentional (and still a questionable default - a discussion on emacs-devel has been seen).

Setting minibuffer-prompt-properties to the new `cursor-intangible'  fixes the cursor movement issue and C-x h.

However,

(setq minibuffer-prompt-properties '(read-only t  point-entered minibuffer-avoid-prompt))

fails to work as intended.  That seems to be a bug, because `minibuffer-avoid-prompt' is just obsolete (since 25.1), and the NEWS file lists `point-entered' as obsolete, too.  So it should still work.

Feature suggestion:  Why can't Emacs see that a user had (point-entered minibuffer-avoid-prompt) and simply translate that to (cursor-intangible t)?

Another feature suggestion:  When the cursor is in a read-only area, why can’t self-insert-command jump to the next area where input is allowed?  When a region contains read-only areas, and delete is pressed or delete-selection-mode would cause the region to be killed, could Emacs just kill all the writeable text and leave the read-only portion (e.g., mini buffer prompts!) in place?  It would be so nice if Emacs could “do the right thing”!

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.0.0, NS appkit-1404.13 Version 10.11.1 (Build 15B42))
 of 2015-11-10
Repository revision: 25775a12c5168b0494dff15639ac25d8e1017530
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured features:
ACL ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
Mark saved where search started
(read-only t point-entered minibuffer-avoid-prompt) [2 times]
C-h <left> is undefined
Quit
Mark set [3 times]
s-2 is undefined
Quit [2 times]
Mark set
(read-only t point-entered minibuffer-avoid-prompt)
Quit

Load-path shadows:
./ae24.git/.dir-locals hides ./aquamacs-emacs/.dir-locals
./ae24.git/.dir-locals hides ./emacs/.dir-locals
./ae24.git/.dir-locals hides /Users/dr/emacs/nextstep/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
noutline outline eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe
character-fold misearch multi-isearch vc vc-dispatcher vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode map seq cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs find-func pp thingatpt url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv eieio-core
cl-macs gv gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
cursor-sensor cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit cl-extra help-fns
help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 141432 5750)
 (symbols 48 24818 0)
 (miscs 40 259 376)
 (strings 32 32647 16953)
 (string-bytes 1 998901)
 (vectors 16 18301)
 (vector-slots 8 530698 2662)
 (floats 8 190 305)
 (intervals 56 494 41)
 (buffers 976 18))